Skip to main content

N.E.W.S.

Hello,

It's been quite some time since I actually wanted to write this post. After having heated debates with people over the Best TV News Channel (err... surely not the one which gets the awards always), and factually correct news, I just felt like writing it through in my post. And, by the way, this isn't the 'Rann' effect. In fact, I haven't seen that movie and nor do I plan to.

The basic definition of news, is to provide information regarding everything that's happening around the world. In short, providing the updates of events from North, East West and South, making the word, News.

Through the years, the increasing competition from all the sides, has brought us to face a world where News is bought and sold, over reported and covered. And yes, this is the bitter truth. Most of the time, we are unaware of the reality and the hype is all we give in to. And this is the case mostly with the audio visual media, the TV channels, which are indulged in a self-battle of TRPs.

The first time I really was enlightened of this fact was, when I went to Jammu a few years back. There was a news channel which I was loyal to, then. And, on the road, we were stuck up because of a check-post for around 2-3 hours. The reporter who came-in there, was asking people to give false reports that they have been stuck since 2-3 days (!!) and there is no arrangement from the government's side either.

I was like... Wow... This is how news is literally... 'MADE'!

Some of you might argue, that there are these sting operations and eye-opening revelations. But, have we ever thought about having such an operation for them in their own den (read: office)? Who knows what goes on in those headquarters? Shouldn't these ill practices take birth from such places only?

It's heartening when those who are supposed to be providing with valuable and precise information end up giving us rather lame and inappropriate details.

Past all this, what's even more hilarious, in my opinion, is having those 30 minute shows (out of which 15 minutes is just commercials) in which they repeat the same 45-second 'astounding' video clip around ten times, and then exaggerate about it the in the remaining time. This may contain the page-3 gossip, the masala from a daily sop, the promo of an upcoming movie, the drama at a reality show, among others... Don't we have access to these entertainment channels that you show us that? Or do you think that by showing it, the level of entertainment on your channel will increase? Wait a minute, are you sure yours is a news channel?

Media should be responsible and true, not arrogant and false. It should emphasize on the positives and report the negatives. It should promote people to do something than demotivate thinking nothing can happen, by emphasizing on the cons. Because, at the end, it is this form which has maximum influence on the people. I believe, it should showcase ideal behaviour over the sought-after one. It should exemplify the views of people, their opinions over various issues, over just the big-wigs of the field. Finally, it's 'us' who is affected by each and every thing!

Some profound thinking brings me to this conclusion that this negativity and lack of interest in hard-core facts, stems from the basic Indian psyche. We never emphasize on the proven facts, but the possibilities. We never look at where we can be, but, shout at where we aren't. We just can't look at prosperity. We can't form our own opinions, and even if we do, they are easily moulded by high-profile politicos, prestigious personalities, or these 'News' channels.

And, this is what we are taken advantage of!

I wonder if many of us have really thought over these things... But, they stand true!

Till the day we can't stand up to this injustice done to us on the part of news providers, how can we be expected to stand for the right, beat the evil or even have our say in a matter?

Some might say, that I have ignored the print media. Well, that's the most pure form of News I believe I have ever read. Reasons:
1. They don't repeat the same lines a hundred times.
2. They don't try to cover their abberations, but, accept it.
3. They provide you with data and statistics that is far more convincing.
4. They surely are away from the 'bling'.

To be frank, there's this news group that I depend on. They have multiple newspapers spread over different languages, and a couple of channels. And, these are the only channels that I trust to update my own self and my knowledge about current events!

In hope for a better media...

Sayonara!

Comments

  1. Sometimes I feel as if you are being possessed by some literature genius and at times I think as if you are being spooked by some of the greats of mass media guys. Hahaha. Ok this was a joke. Dis 1s getting better and better. Honestly i feel as if Vijay Harshvardhan from Rann is writing this story. Check out blog topic called Day 677 on www.bigb.bigadda.com It ll tell u how media manipulates news. Somebody says truth... News is hardly ever found, in most of the cases it is made and churned.

    Loved every word. Cheerio!

    Bhavin
    (www.blogsbybugs.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Bit Too Grown-Up... A Bit Too Early?

Note from the blogger: Please, please, please try not being judgemental about me and anything about me from what you read here. It's purely a result of my numerous thoughts. It's always been something I have wondered about... When's the time when you can finally call someone a grown up? When you can finally say that someone is mature enough to take care of himself and how his life is lead? When's that independence, that freedom conferred to him? When can he realize for himself that he can? That he will? Sometimes... The whole concept of English education too, bewilders me. More so because, it uproots the so-called hard-core Indian culture, its tradition and values from the minds of students like me who give themselves the freedom to have contrary views or be cynics to it. May be that's how we are or the way the double-standard of education has left us with... Either ways, it's the way it is... I know most of our parents haven't studied in English medi

Education & India: Part 2 of 2

Cross-posted from Not Just The Talks . Like I’ve said earlier (by that, I mean in Part 1 ), my life revolves around the state of education in India today, being a student. And I lead from where I left, in the first post, in this one. 1) Colleges: The basic requisite for a successful post-education life-in-the-real-world, as I’ve heard so far, begins from colleges. Schools are those parts of our lives, when we’re shaped and also protected during the process. But, in colleges, we have our first interaction with the real world. So, it wouldn’t be immature-ish of me to say, that ‘That’s where it all begins...’. There’s not much to say, except that what I’m (by that I mean everyone in their respective colleges) taught is purely theoretical bullshit. Something that has been in the textbooks since ages. And, even if it has been ‘revised’ lately, I’m assured, when I open the first page, that all I’ll study, will be something that isn’t even present in real day life.

The Gandhi Way? No Way!!

Disclaimer: This post is purely a substance of my personal opinion. By this, I don't mean to hurt the sentiments of the republic of India or the person regarded as the Father of The Nation, Mr. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. If anyone would be offended by reading anything that goes against the nation and its principles, even if it's pointing the flaws so that we, the next generation could live in a better India, you would rather not read it hereon, that would be my sincere request to you, as the blogger. Peace. No hard feelings. Sitting on the stage, looking out at the crowd and people gathered around him, he rises and speaks. "I'm on a fast unto death, from now on, till my demands are met." Around 79 years ago, M. K. Gandhi, a political prisoner, changed the way protests were held in this country, India, chiefly dominated by politics and the so-called people's movements... He then rose in this battle, while serving a jail term on political grounds for the eq