Skip to main content

Soothing...

Every person has a list of varied things that provide them a peace of mind. Among them, if a survey was carried on, the result would surely be listening to music.

The word music has varied importance in each and everyone's life. For some, it is a passion, for some it is a way of living, for some it is a need, for some it is a mean to be a part of the crowd, for some it is a part of their soul, for the rest it is just some estranged being.

This one is a testimonial to music (or muzik, as I prefer to spell it). My focus in this post is mainly on the English music, which most of us back here in India, consider as a foreign territory much beyond our knowledge.

There have been great bands and artists in the past and probably in the future, they will be better, but, what holds my nerves to the past and the good old music of the '60s and '70s are bands like The Beatles, Queen etc. These people had magic and melody in what they composed. Singers like the legendary John Lennon and Elton John. It was The Beatles who actually made the pop genre of music popular. You can say it was the beginning of a new era.

In the coming decades, the band culture got its rightful importance with blooming of bands like U2, and singles like Michael Jackson (who eventually went on to be called the 'King of Pop').

But those were supposedly also the good old days and they were on the verge of an end. The days of the pop culture came to an end with the rise in popularity of the music that is called noise by legendary musicians, the hard-rock, metal, rock, jazz and dark metal age of music which emerged from the contemporary rock and roll. These genre of music seem to have taken over the minds of the youth since its inception in the early '60s, but have had the maximum influence in the last decade when the death of the Pop culture of music didn't seem to have any solace to reside on.

Even in this era of death, there were some faithfuls to the music which was created by various legends. This includes the some immensely popular bands like MLTR (Michael Learns To Rock, which even have a large following in countries like India), and Enrique Iglesias.

The advent of the 21st century saw a whole new genre of music that became popular with the youth, the mash-up of Country, Rock and Pop. The youth artists like Britney Spears, James Blunt, Pussy Cat Dolls, Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Hillary Duff, George Michael, Avril Lavigne, Lindsay Lohan, Fergie, Joe Nichols, Jimmy Wayne, Vitamin C, Akon etc spread magic with their music.

And in this whole journey were bands like The Beatles, Linkin Park, ABBA, Savage Garden, Eagles, System Of A Down, Metallica, Blue, Backstreet Boys, Boyzone, Guns n Roses etc who had great fan following and whose music was one of a kind, whose magic no one except they themselves can ever recreate. The artist whom I can't afford to forget at this juncture are Bryan Adams, Elton John, Celine Dion, Michael Jackson, Beyonce, Kylie Minogue, Michael Buble, Peter Gabriel...the list is endless. These were the people who actually redefined the widely used term 'Music', whose every song had something which made it special and different. These are the people whose music is soothing and a solace for their endless number of fans.

My own personal favourites among this endless list are as follows:
Designation of the song: Title (Artist-Album)

All-time favourite song: Summer Of '69 (Bryan Adams-Summer Of '69)
Romantic song: Love Story (Taylor Swift-Fearless); You Took My Heart Away (MLTR-Take Me To Your Heart)
Missing School Days: Friends Forever (Vitamin C-Graduation)
Best Guitar work: Hotel California (Eagles-Hell Freezes Over)
Rock: Wake Me Up When September Ends (Green Day-Bullet In A Bible)
When missing someone: Gotta Find You (Joe Jonas-Camp Rock)
Strong Resemblance: Right Now (Freedom-Akon)
Dream: If We Were A Movie (Miley Cyrus-Hannah Montana)
Truth: Somebody's Me (Enrique Iglesias-Insomniac)
Confessions: Confessions Of A Broken Heart (Lindsay Lohan-A Little More Personal)
In wait: Right Here Waiting (Richard Marx-Repeat Offender)
Found you: Bartender (TPain-The Midas Touch Man)
Look at yourself: Girl In The Mirror (Britney Spears-Oops!...I Did It Again)
Striving for you: If Only Tears Could Bring You Back (Soundtrack-Pokemon The Movie)
Romance at its best: My Heart Will Go On (Celine Dion-Titanic)
Limits to which I can go: When You Love Someone (Bryan Adams-Unplugged)
Just for you: You're Beautiful (James Blunt-You're Beautiful)
Adieu: Goodbye My Lover (James Blunt-Chasing Time: The Bedlam Sessions)
Friendship: True Friend (Hannah Montana-Hannah Montana 2: Meet Miley Cyrus)
Gloomy: Teardrops On My Guitar (Taylor Swift-Fearless)
Love is in the air: As Long As You Love Me (Backstreet Boys-Backstreet Boys)
Ask for dance: Can I Have This Dance (soundtrack-High School Musical 3)

The list doesn't seem to have an end and it never will just because I can't ever get tired when I begin talking music and when it is about the best I have ever heard, there is no end... And I even wish there isn't any ever...

Do tell me without hesitation anytime if you discover new bands or artists which you think are really good. I wouldn't mind exploring them as I am in no mood to miss any great music...

Sayonara!

Comments

  1. The choices of your music are good enough to make a person buy english music. But just one request. I would be glad enough if you can showcase the Indian Music talent to the world rather than getting the world music to India.

    I request you for one simple reason...
    To name a few... Kishoreda, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Noorjehan, Mukesh, Rafi, Pankaj Udhas, Jagjit Singh, Ustad Ghulam Ali, Wadali brothers, Sonu Nigam, Mohit Chauhan, Kailash Kher, Shreya Ghoshal, Aatif Aslam (I have many more names if you want me to write it down) and many more who are masters in their own way.

    On the whole, the post might be good, but it may not be able to appeal to all masses.

    Regards,
    Bhavin
    (www.blogsbybugs.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Bit Too Grown-Up... A Bit Too Early?

Note from the blogger: Please, please, please try not being judgemental about me and anything about me from what you read here. It's purely a result of my numerous thoughts. It's always been something I have wondered about... When's the time when you can finally call someone a grown up? When you can finally say that someone is mature enough to take care of himself and how his life is lead? When's that independence, that freedom conferred to him? When can he realize for himself that he can? That he will? Sometimes... The whole concept of English education too, bewilders me. More so because, it uproots the so-called hard-core Indian culture, its tradition and values from the minds of students like me who give themselves the freedom to have contrary views or be cynics to it. May be that's how we are or the way the double-standard of education has left us with... Either ways, it's the way it is... I know most of our parents haven't studied in English medi

Education & India: Part 2 of 2

Cross-posted from Not Just The Talks . Like I’ve said earlier (by that, I mean in Part 1 ), my life revolves around the state of education in India today, being a student. And I lead from where I left, in the first post, in this one. 1) Colleges: The basic requisite for a successful post-education life-in-the-real-world, as I’ve heard so far, begins from colleges. Schools are those parts of our lives, when we’re shaped and also protected during the process. But, in colleges, we have our first interaction with the real world. So, it wouldn’t be immature-ish of me to say, that ‘That’s where it all begins...’. There’s not much to say, except that what I’m (by that I mean everyone in their respective colleges) taught is purely theoretical bullshit. Something that has been in the textbooks since ages. And, even if it has been ‘revised’ lately, I’m assured, when I open the first page, that all I’ll study, will be something that isn’t even present in real day life.

The Gandhi Way? No Way!!

Disclaimer: This post is purely a substance of my personal opinion. By this, I don't mean to hurt the sentiments of the republic of India or the person regarded as the Father of The Nation, Mr. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. If anyone would be offended by reading anything that goes against the nation and its principles, even if it's pointing the flaws so that we, the next generation could live in a better India, you would rather not read it hereon, that would be my sincere request to you, as the blogger. Peace. No hard feelings. Sitting on the stage, looking out at the crowd and people gathered around him, he rises and speaks. "I'm on a fast unto death, from now on, till my demands are met." Around 79 years ago, M. K. Gandhi, a political prisoner, changed the way protests were held in this country, India, chiefly dominated by politics and the so-called people's movements... He then rose in this battle, while serving a jail term on political grounds for the eq