Skip to main content

Fact check, maybe?

The world has changed over the last 5 years. The world today feels more polarized and divided, than it has in recent history. There are deep-seated divisions in our society, which come to the fore every day in the form of resentment, biases, abuse and hatred.

But in the race to form, express and defend opinions, we have forgotten the importance of something integral that helps us form opinions: Facts.


"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."         -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Facts do not belong to a political party, a social position, a religious group or a country. Facts are universal, substantiated, proven with evidence, and grounded in truth. Quite simply, facts are the truth.

We do not have to agree on our beliefs and opinions, but we must ascribe to the same facts. Facts form one of the tentpoles of a society. While our scientific and industrial prowess separates us from other living organisms, our disdain for antithetical facts tears apart millennia of progress.

Facts that do not conform to our opinions may be uncomfortable, and our immediate instinct often is to defend our opinions, but that doesn't turn facts into fable.

The world has changed over the last 5 years. Social media has given all of us a voice to share and connect, but also given the worst elements among us a platform to showcase their anger. In times of fake news, it is all the more important that facts take precedence. While there is enough information to suit any line opinion one may have, sorting fact from fiction sometimes feels like looking for a needle in a haystack. But isn't that also why we must?

Taking claims put forth by politicians with a grain of salt, becomes even more important in a polarizing atmosphere that seeks to divide to earn votes. It is easy to believe lies, which is why, 'A lie will go round the world while truth is putting its boots on.' (C. H. Spurgeon, not Mark Twain or Winston Churchill. Fact check.)

Speaking truth to power remains one of the most important adages of a citizenry that desires to keep their democratic governments in check. And truth must be rooted in facts, always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bit Too Grown-Up... A Bit Too Early?

Note from the blogger: Please, please, please try not being judgemental about me and anything about me from what you read here. It's purely a result of my numerous thoughts. It's always been something I have wondered about... When's the time when you can finally call someone a grown up? When you can finally say that someone is mature enough to take care of himself and how his life is lead? When's that independence, that freedom conferred to him? When can he realize for himself that he can? That he will? Sometimes... The whole concept of English education too, bewilders me. More so because, it uproots the so-called hard-core Indian culture, its tradition and values from the minds of students like me who give themselves the freedom to have contrary views or be cynics to it. May be that's how we are or the way the double-standard of education has left us with... Either ways, it's the way it is... I know most of our parents haven't studied in English medi...

Sorry, Thank You, Please!

Pretty often have I met new people. And even more often do I hear words that are supposedly 'Golden'. Sorry, Thank You, and Please. And I, without a doubt, fail to understand what's so golden about these so-called Golden words?! When we meet people, we get to know them. We share, we care, we learn, and within all this, we barely realize when we begin a new relationship. Peculiarly, every relationship we make, is based on different values and has its own importance. Some on trust, some on love, some on knowledge, some on sharing, some on caring, some on kindness... And the list, is endless! But every relationship, and (almost) everyone of us, considers that saying these golden words, is necessary, whenever the need be. It just doesn't get my head on it as to why should anyone use these words? What really is the significance behind it? And how many times do we really mean them? Simply said, when we make a mistake, we say 'Sorry' to the people who show that w...

Education & India: Part 2 of 2

Cross-posted from Not Just The Talks . Like I’ve said earlier (by that, I mean in Part 1 ), my life revolves around the state of education in India today, being a student. And I lead from where I left, in the first post, in this one. 1) Colleges: The basic requisite for a successful post-education life-in-the-real-world, as I’ve heard so far, begins from colleges. Schools are those parts of our lives, when we’re shaped and also protected during the process. But, in colleges, we have our first interaction with the real world. So, it wouldn’t be immature-ish of me to say, that ‘That’s where it all begins...’. There’s not much to say, except that what I’m (by that I mean everyone in their respective colleges) taught is purely theoretical bullshit. Something that has been in the textbooks since ages. And, even if it has been ‘revised’ lately, I’m assured, when I open the first page, that all I’ll study, will be something that isn’t even present in real day life. ...