Skip to main content

Anticipation.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. and no good thing ever dies.
I don't remember how many times and to how many people I've recited these lines, in the 6+ years since I watched 'The Shawshank Redemption' for the first time. And yet, much as I keep convincing people to believe in these words, I sometimes find it hard to trust in them for myself, shaking in the belief about the sanctity of these words.

For longer than I can remember, I had been certain about my life and the way it'd go on. I knew what was going on, and where I wanted to see it, for whatever time-frame was asked of me. And then, 6 months back, things changed drastically, dramatically.

All throughout these 6 months, up until the last few weeks when I found some peace of mind and stability, I had been wondering what is it that kept me going. What is it, that even after the tables had turned, made me want to believe in a better tomorrow than the yesterday? And each time, there was a singular answer: Hope.

Hope is one emotion that I don't understand much. It's moody, and shows up only when I'm either very low or very elated. It doesn't turn up when I'm in a neutral mood. Hope is erratic in how strongly it comes by and puts its face in front of me. It is arrogant and refuses to shake, no matter how much I wish for it to be gone. It is important, even if I wish for it to be superfluous.

Over the past few weeks, each day, I've been hoping more than I have before. More for the future that I want to see and the life that I want to live, becoming only more certain with each day, about how I want to live it. It isn't the dreams, it is the hopes that I'm talking about. These sprouts of stability, make me anticipate the future I want to live, I have always wanted to live.

So, is it that when you rise from a devastating fall, you hope even more strongly? I don't think so. Shouldn't it be the other way, that you stop hoping for and wanting much, because your dreams have shattered once?

I realize that what drives our anticipation for a better tomorrow is a desire for better days, a yearning for a happier life and a wanting for things to be different. We don't want things to be the same way they've been before. It's tried and tested that it doesn't make us happy. We want them to be different. And that's exactly what we hope for. This desire to want different things and to make sure the same things don't happen to you again, is the reason why we refuse to be the same person anymore, and why we, unconsciously, end up hoping more than we did before.

It usually is after a huge, unexpected blow that we start thinking more clearly than we did ever before, even though it all seems like a massive blur, a daze, in the beginning. Because all throughout, we've realized what we don't want. In retrospect, we've actually understood how particular we've got about what we want.

I've seen people strife to get to where they have seen themselves, and hurt their ownselves in the process of getting there. It dumbfounds me how healthy it is, and it doesn't seem ideal to me. Far from it, in fact.

What is it about hope that keeps us so enticed in it, about it? Why can't we just dismiss it as a random emotion, that the pessimist inside each one of us would like to deal with it as? Why can't we refuse to accept and we still believe that the best is yet to come, even if superficially sometimes? Why do we keep going even when we think all is lost?

Hope isn't conscious, that's something I'm certain about. It is subconscious. It has to be. Enough that the only thing that's real about it is its presence. There's little we know about how it empowers us even in the most unexpected, unwanted, uncalled for conditions. And hope drives fear away. It is in the hope of a better tomorrow that we can stop worrying about it. It is in the happy anticipation that we can sleep peacefully at night.

Hope is stronger than we know, or believe it to be. It is straight forward, not crooked. We simply hope for things that'd make us happy, in the end. Not those which would fetch us the slightest of sadness.

And, all of that, is exactly what makes hope so powerful an attitude that it moves mountains. It is only because of hope that there's light at the end of a tunnel. It is knowing, believing and wanting to get out of the pain that gets us out past the most perplexing situations. It pulls us forward when all we want to do is stay stuck in a place and sulk. It sits by us, patiently until we need to lament, and then convinces us of what we deserve.

For all the sadness and pain, there's an equal amount of hope that drives us to the happiness we so truly deserve.

Yes, hope, indeed, is a good thing. And probably, the best thing.

After all, there is something positive, even at the end of even the best day. Anticipation.

Comments

  1. "It is hope that drives us to the happiness we so truly deserve." There can't be words any truer than these.
    But what if it still doesn't get us to that happiness? What then?
    Then there appears a whole new another hope with a new bud of anticipation that things will work this time.
    That is what hope does, it doesn't let us stay down for long. It forces us to stand and walk again and even look forward to flying.
    It has given me a new and happier strart for my today after beginning it with reading such a positive post from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remembered a lesson from English class in school....I guess it was called "Pandora's Box" from which hope comes at the end after lots of diseases and despair....

    This may seem weird but I don't fully agree with it coz sometimes hope can lead to despair and depression too...
    Let me give u an example....
    Consider a quadraplegic patient who has no movement in any of his limbs...so would u give a false hope that he may walk again like normal person?? No u cant coz it would ultimately crush his hope...

    Now this is just my view...but for general sense it was a great article...

    Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautifully written, Setu. I like the simplicity that you have used in your post. Hope is one of the best things that keeps the world going and the time ticking. Nice to see your writings beaming with positivity. This should probably give people a ray of hope that no matter how hard their lives turn out to be, there is always going to be a change in the situation. Like optimists say, Good time is just around the corner. Well written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its so relatable.. very true.. well written Setu !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Bit Too Grown-Up... A Bit Too Early?

Note from the blogger: Please, please, please try not being judgemental about me and anything about me from what you read here. It's purely a result of my numerous thoughts. It's always been something I have wondered about... When's the time when you can finally call someone a grown up? When you can finally say that someone is mature enough to take care of himself and how his life is lead? When's that independence, that freedom conferred to him? When can he realize for himself that he can? That he will? Sometimes... The whole concept of English education too, bewilders me. More so because, it uproots the so-called hard-core Indian culture, its tradition and values from the minds of students like me who give themselves the freedom to have contrary views or be cynics to it. May be that's how we are or the way the double-standard of education has left us with... Either ways, it's the way it is... I know most of our parents haven't studied in English medi

Education & India: Part 2 of 2

Cross-posted from Not Just The Talks . Like I’ve said earlier (by that, I mean in Part 1 ), my life revolves around the state of education in India today, being a student. And I lead from where I left, in the first post, in this one. 1) Colleges: The basic requisite for a successful post-education life-in-the-real-world, as I’ve heard so far, begins from colleges. Schools are those parts of our lives, when we’re shaped and also protected during the process. But, in colleges, we have our first interaction with the real world. So, it wouldn’t be immature-ish of me to say, that ‘That’s where it all begins...’. There’s not much to say, except that what I’m (by that I mean everyone in their respective colleges) taught is purely theoretical bullshit. Something that has been in the textbooks since ages. And, even if it has been ‘revised’ lately, I’m assured, when I open the first page, that all I’ll study, will be something that isn’t even present in real day life.

The Gandhi Way? No Way!!

Disclaimer: This post is purely a substance of my personal opinion. By this, I don't mean to hurt the sentiments of the republic of India or the person regarded as the Father of The Nation, Mr. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. If anyone would be offended by reading anything that goes against the nation and its principles, even if it's pointing the flaws so that we, the next generation could live in a better India, you would rather not read it hereon, that would be my sincere request to you, as the blogger. Peace. No hard feelings. Sitting on the stage, looking out at the crowd and people gathered around him, he rises and speaks. "I'm on a fast unto death, from now on, till my demands are met." Around 79 years ago, M. K. Gandhi, a political prisoner, changed the way protests were held in this country, India, chiefly dominated by politics and the so-called people's movements... He then rose in this battle, while serving a jail term on political grounds for the eq